Experience Exchange Sever

June 17, 2017

ADConnect Sync Issue – Resource/Active forest topology

Filed under: Office 365 — vijayarelangovan @ 7:21 pm

Recently i’ve encountered an issue with the AD connect. I thought it is worth sharing with others.

Infrastructure

There are 2 forest

1. Forest A and Forest B
2. Exchange is installed on Forest A
4. Forest B users mailbox are on Exchange server which is in the same forest
3. Forest A users mailboxes are on Exchange server which is in the forest B

The typical setup of the organization is below

1665.image_57B62B1E

 

For office 365 migration, AD Connect has 3 connectors

Connector for Forest B – Syncs the user attributes of forest A
Connector for Forest A – Sycns the AD object attributes of Forest A
Connector for Office 365 – Projects the object and their attributes to Azure AD

Forest B users mailboxes are migrated to office 365, Forest A users mailboxes are still on prem.

The reason for projecting the forest A object to AD Azure is to make use of sharepoint online and eventually migrate them to office 365.

Issue:

Ok, the issue here is that, one of user from forest A is assigned with share point but unable to login to it.

Diagnosis:

Sequence of steps that i tried to fix this eventually helped me understand

How AD Connect works.

1. Sharepoint license assinged correctly, and the sites are ok (with the help of sharepoint support i confirmed it is setup correctly comparing with the rest of them)
2. Searched the Forest A connector to see if the user AD attributes are projected – yes it does
3. Searched the Forest B connector to see if the mailbox attributes are projected – yes it does
4. The immutableID of the user object from AD Azure matches the base64 objectGuid of the AD object matches the Forest A (this proves that source anchor is from Forest A)

The catch is, Both the connectors are projecting assuming both are different object

How this supposed to work

1. the attributes of the user from Forest B called msExchMasterAccountSid is matched with the objectGuid attribute of the user in Forest A
2. The AD object on Forest A must be disabled
3. The metaverse should combine the AD attributes from Forest A and Exchange attributes from Forest B and project it to AD Azure

Solutions:

1. Move the user object to non-sync OU on both the forest A & B
2. force the Delta synchronization on all 3 connectors
3. Move the user object in Forest A to syncing OU
4. Run the full synchronization on Connect for forest A, Connector for Office 365
5. Move the user object n Forest B to Syncing OU
6. Run the full synchronization on Connect for forest B

This resolved the problem

But what difference does it make?

Lesson learnt is,

When we create the connector it automatically takes the first priority, so Forest B was project disable object. The second connector created was Forest A, it took the second priority.
For some reason the metaverse cannot combine the disabled Forest B (Exchange attributes) and Forest A ( AD Attributes).
By manually syncing one after the other, the issue was resolved.

But wait, should i do it everytime when new user is created – NO

You can change the priority by yourself using “Rule Editor” which gets installed along with the AD Connect. Keep the priority of the the active forest at the top and the resource forest first to the bottom.

Hope this was useful

Advertisements

Leave a Comment »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: